Wednesday

Sopa de Papas

Note: working on a better photo, I don't like this one. I am not a good food photographer!

And on the stove or in the oven at a New Mexico Kitchen.......

Sopa de Papas

This recipe is loosely based (to be milk-free/gluten-free/nut-free) from an adorable little gem of a cookbook called Flora's Kitchen, Recipes from a New Mexico Family, by Regina Romero. I think this was the first New Mexican cookbook I purchased the first time I moved here. I may have mentioned this before, New Mexican cookbooks are more than just recipes, they are history, a coming together of family with the staples of New Mexican cuisine.

We eat this because, well, it is just down right economical and it tastes good. I will be the first to say that I love creating fancy meals when I have time, but lately, the trip to the grocery store is just killing me. And with the crazy food restrictions we have going on in our household our food bill is driving me a little crazy!

I caramelize the onions while the veggies are cooking. If you don't want your soup to have a pink tone, remove the carrots before processing.

This is my version of her recipe. Yields 4 servings.

Print Recipe

Sopa de Papas

Course: Soup & Stew

Cuisine: New Mexican

Serves: 4

Ingredients

  • 4 medium yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
  • 2 carrots peeled and diced
  • 2 celery stalks diced
  • 1/2 quart water
  • 1 1/2 cups rice milk (optional)
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 small onion peeled,and cut into thin cresents
  • Olive Oil (or other fat)
  • Herbamare to taste
  • Black Pepper to taste
  • Roasted New Mexican Green Chile (optional)

Directions

Put potato, carrot, celery and water in pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until veggies are very soft. Strain and reserve liquid, puree veggies and return to stock. Add the rice milk and beat in the egg yolks, heat gently and season with Herbamare. Saute onion in olive oil to your liking, lightly browned or caramelized, and add to the soup. Serve. Of course we add a dollop of roasted green chile.


Powered by
Plan To Eat

Add to Plan to Eat

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...