Tuesday

Dad's Guitar Strap

First, I want to say thank you to the wonderful folks that have left feedback at my Etsy shop. I am starting to finally have more sales there and it makes me smile to know that the woven key fobs and trims that I make are starting to travel around the U.S.! And as always, thank you to my dear friends for supporting my weaving habit!

Dad's Guitar Strap
Dad's Guitar Strap

A few months back I posted some photos of wider bands that were intended to be guitar straps or sturdy bag straps. Then the requests came from family members, and then a few more from friends. I've finished a series of 7, and now I have 3 more to finish and then I am ready to get back to designing more key fobs.

close up of pattern detail, the front side.
close up of pattern detail, the front side.

My dad had been asking for a strap for awhile. I settled on adapting a pattern from Manual de Telar Mapuche. I placed it in the middle, and added combs on the side (I love, love comb designs)! The pattern is a 15 pattern pick up design and was easy to memorize. This band was woven on an inkle loom.

The Strap!
The Strap!

Here is the funny (sort of) story behind this band. My little guy, who has been practicing his scissor skills, decided he was going to "practice" on this band. I have no idea when he did it, but it sent me into a panic, because the strap was hanging with other for sale pieces. Luckily, he didn't cut any other bands.

close up of pattern detail, the back side.
close up of pattern detail, the back side.

Sadly I showed my dad, and said I would have to make another one. My dad, who can work a sewing machine told me what to do, and we were able to repair enough of it to squeeze a length of strap out of it. I also think, for him, there is a "mark" there, my son saying here I am, and my dad wanted that in the piece.

The strap (100% cotton) and leather hardware.
The strap (100% cotton) and leather hardware.

I made the leather hardware and did the hand stitching on them. So that's the story behind this band. And my dad loves it! Stay tuned for more bands!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...