Sunday

Traveler's Scarf


traveler's scarf



This scarf was born out of the need to have a very simple travelling project. The pattern was easy (for me) to memorize, and I could stuff it in my bag. I rarely worked on this project at home, it was mostly made sitting in the car, at doctor’s appointments, or at one of son’s hospital stays.

I also wanted to use a less expensive yarn so that it would be an affordable project for all. I decided to try Lion Brand’s Wool Ease Worsted Weight. I don’t love super long scarves so I only needed 1 skein of yarn for this project. I always try to use a product with some content of wool for it gives the ability for stretch. Also, gauge is not super important unless you are looking for a specific size.



traveler's scarf



I recommend that you block this project (on blocking wires if you have them) or it will not look like the picture. Blocking opens up the pattern. My “unblocked” measurements were 39” by 4 ¼“ and my “blocked” measurements were 44 ¼” by 7 ¼” . The scarf grew 5 ¼”  in length, and 3” in width!

If you want a scarf that will be less/more in width, subtract or add in units of 5 sts.



traveler's scarf


Traveler’s Scarf

US Size 7 (4.5mm) 16” Circular Needle
1 + skein(s) Lion Brand Wool Ease Worsted Weight or other Worsted Weight yarn.
Gauge: 5sts = 1 inch
Blocking Wires

LEGEND
CO: cast on
st(s): stitch(es)
sl1: slip one purl-wise (you could also slip knit-wise, just pick one and consistently do it)
k: knit
p: purl
yo: yarn over
skp: slip one purl-wise, knit one, pass slipped stitch over knitted stitch
k2tog: knit 2 together

Using Norwegian Long Tail Cast On, CO 30 sts.

Rows 1 thru 6: Sl1, knit across.

Begin Pattern:
Row 1: sl1, k3, *p2, k1, yo, skp, repeat from * 3 more times, p2, k4
Row 2: sl1, k5, *p3, k2, repeat from * 3 more times, k4
Row 3: sl1, k3, *p2, k2tog, yo, k1, repeat from * 3 more times, p2, k4
Row 4: sl1, k5, *p3, k2, repeat from * 3 more times, k4

Repeat pattern rows 1 thru 4 until desired length is achieved.

Then to finish:
Rows 1 thru 5: sl1, knit across.
Cast off knit-wise.
Block the scarf on wires and wear with joy.

Ravelry Link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/travelers-scarf

2009 Copyright - K. Cunningham-Varland - Rabbitbrush Studio - Big Sky Mountain Designs


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...